If you have been unfortunate enough to have been injured through no fault of your own, the last thing you need is more problems as the result of your claim being mishandled or undersettled. Whilst most personal injury claims are handled well, unfortunately some cases are badly handled and involve professional negligence on the part of the solicitor.
With the growth in a claims industry, some sub-standard claims management companies and law firms have employed unqualified staff and given poor advice, adding insult to injury. The most common mistake in personal injury claims is to miss the deadline for starting court proceedings. This time limit is generally 3 years from the date of an accident, but this can vary for unusual cases such as accidents at sea.
There is also the possibility that your claim may have been settled but you may not have received the correct amount of compensation. If the person handling your claim was unqualified, inexperienced or more interested in getting a quick settlement they may have advised you to settle for less than your claim was worth.
Examples of items of loss which are frequently missed include:
- Not recovering all your lost earnings resulting from the accident
- Failing to consider and recover payment for the services which you have relied upon during your convalescence, sometimes known as a ‘care claim’. This could amount to tens of pounds
- Failing to consider and recover for a reduced or lost pension resulting from your accident
- Failing to properly investigate or prepare your case e.g. not contacting essential witnesses or failing to properly consider or advise upon the law
- Not advising you properly regarding the defendant’s offer of settlement and subsequently failing to beat that offer at trial. This often has the consequence that you ended up paying some or all of your opponents legal costs, unnecessarily, out of your compensation
Claiming compensation after personal injury solicitor negligence
We have many years expertise in personal injury claims and have successfully represented many tens of clients, in both initial claims and negligence claims against lawyers and management companies who have mishandled clients’ cases. For more information, please get in touch with us on 08000 558 441 or click here to email us.